#1 Mar 20th 2017 7:00am
Hello,

After updating Bridgedd to 1.4.1 my recent board topics widget at first disappeared from the homepage, after adding it back through the widgets panel, all the recent posts were gone and it displays the message 'no board topics found'. I tried creating a test post on the forum, however the post did not show up in the widget. Is this behavior reported by others as well? Does updating to bridge dd 1.4.1 require updating the phpbb mod aswell? I would very much appreciate any help regarding this. Would it be a problem if I roll back to the previous version of the plugin i have stored in a backup, that is would it cause any further issues?

Many thanks for all your help
#2 Mar 20th 2017 7:12am
/*Update*/

I rolled back to bridgedd 1.4 and now the recent post widget is working again, the issue is related to the 1.4.1 update it seems. I have also updated to wordpress 4.7.3, could it be related to this? however bridgedd 1.4 is working great and everything seems to be perfect with the new wordpress update.
#3 Mar 20th 2017 10:15am
The Recent Board Topics widget was completely rewritten for BridgeDD 1.4.1, and it contains several new options. Sometimes, however, those options do not show up initially due to the old settings being cached on your site.

The solution is to remove the widget from the sidebar and then restore it. Make sure to NOT put the widget in the inactive area; drag it to the list of widgets to remove it completely. You should then be able to access all the new options and have the widget display correctly.
#4 Mar 22nd 2017 6:02am
As ever thankyou so much for all the help, I will try your solution as soon as can i schedule downtime on the site. Unrelated to this post, Some other strange behavior regarding spam registration, spam bots are constantly registering bypassing the required fields such as email and other custom fields, I did a malware scan using Anti-Malware from GOTMLS.NET, which gave a backdoor script warning for "./public_html/wp-content/plugins/bridgedd/bridgedd_driver.min.addon". would this be a false positive and unrelated to the spam? or is it reason for concern? Again thanking you for your time and all your help.
#5 Mar 22nd 2017 11:33am
No downtime is required to update the widget. The only disruption will be the widget not being displayed for the very brief time it takes you to follow my instructions above.

That is definitely a false positive in your malware scan.

As for spambots, please remember that most spambots are automated. They do not fill out forms; they are designed to bypass your forms by sending a request directly to your server. If you are using javascript to force people to fill in certain registration fields, spambots will be able to bypass those checks.

This is a much bigger problem in WordPress than it is in phpBB, and it is one (of many) reasons why I recommend that phpBB be used for registrations.

Spambots should not be able to register without an email address, even in WordPress. They would never receive the email that is required to activate the new account!
#6 Mar 24th 2017 2:56am
Hello,

Sadly after following your procedure, the widget is still showing no recent topics. I tried to remove it by placing in the widgets, and deleting the widget altogether however still no luck.

I thought i would mention i am using 'Ultimate Member' WordPress plugin for content restriction on the WordPress end, and also have TapaTalk phpBB mod installed on my phpBB forum, could these somehow be causing issues with the new update?

As for the Spambots, upon inspecting the MYSQL database the user entries created do not include a password or email entry in their respective fields, which i fail to understand how, since only way i can think of is by adding a user directly to the database.

I am working on a new design for the website and will consider my options on how to implement the forum, and how to deal with the spambots, until then will study more on the topic.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help, and for the amazing bridgeDD plugin, which by far is the best plugin I have used for WordPress.
#7 Mar 24th 2017 3:14pm
Try adding the following line in the bridgedd_config.php file and let me know if topics start showing up:

Code: Select all
define('RECENT_TOPICS_LENGTH', 90)

The Recent Topics widget now defaults to checking for recent topics within the past 7 days. The above constant will let you change that to the number of days you want.

If you had spambots register in phpBB, an account would be created in WordPress that does not contain a password, and the email address would be the encrypted password. If you delete spambots in phpBB, those spambots are not deleted in WordPress -- you need to go to WordPress and delete them there as well. (You can use phpMyAdmin to delete all of them at once; let me know if you want to do that.)

Finally, you should be aware that Tapatalk is incompatible with BridgeDD because it replaces all phpBB code with its own. This has been true since day one of BridgeDD, and based on how Tapatalk works, it is extremely unlikely the incompatibility will ever be addressed by Tapatalk.
#8 Mar 25th 2017 5:20am
Try adding the following line in the bridgedd_config.php file and let me know if topics start showing up:
define('RECENT_TOPICS_LENGTH', 90)

That did the job, the widget is working perfectly now. :)

Earlier I made a cross post to the forum to test if it shows in the recent topics widget, and forgot to realize that cross posts do not show up in the widget. This led me to believe the widget is not working all together, my apologies for not realizing this.

Other than that Tapatalk has been working just fine along side BridgeDD and I have not noticed any problems whatsoever(guess i'm lucky for that), unless the spambots are due to Tapatalk.

You are absolutely spot on regarding how the spam accounts are created, currently i am manually deleting them form the wordpress database. I have not checked the phpBB database since these users did not show up in the phpBB Board members list, I assumed they were never added to the phpBB database, my main problem is every spam registration clutters my inbox and makes it harder to spot the authentic users which require approval.

I am still learning every day and would really appreciate any help regarding using phpmyadmin to deal with unwanted users. (Im hoping not to inconvenience you any further)

Thanking you so much for resolving the issue and for all your help,
-Sam
#9 Mar 25th 2017 10:58am
While I don't recommend it, if you want to remove all unwanted integrated users from WordPress, run the following query in phpMyAdmin:

DELETE from wp_users WHERE user_pass = ''

Change wp_users to the name of your _users table in WordPress. Make sure to run this after the users have been removed from phpBB. Please be aware that this will also delete all users from WordPress who have registered but have not activated their registration. It can be a dangerous query if your board has a large number of daily registrations, which is why I don't recommend running it.

The best way to deal with spambots is to keep them from registering in the first place. The Google ReCAPTCHA 2 system works well. (The new "invisible" system is IMO invasive and should be avoided.)
#10 Mar 28th 2017 8:19am
Thanks :), I will give recaptcha by google a try, and thanks for the warning, I think ill stick to manual deletion for now, I have a knack for breaking all things computer related, would be a little risky for me, until i can gain more experience.

Many thanks Dion for all your help :) ,
All the best!