#1 May 9th 2014 11:10am
Hi there and thank you for thinking about a bridge plugin for WP and PHPBB.
I have a live installation with wordpress on the root of the server and PHPBB on the /forum directory in the same server. They doesn't co-exist in the same database, but have separate databases.
I tried to activate your plugin but I get "Could not connect to phpBB installation" and "BridgeDD is not connected to phpBB." Clicking on "update" does not avoid the error.
What can I do to fix this?
I tried several plugins to bridge the installations, with no luck.

Thank you so much (sorry for my bad english)
isa
#2 May 9th 2014 12:51pm
I will assume you are running the latest released version of Bridgedd (1.2.2).

Please deactivate BridgeDD, then reactivate it. You should be taken to the BridgeDD settings page. Do you see the /forum directory listed, or do you see the "Could not connect to phpBB installation" error message?

If the /forum directory is listed, and the error message occurs after you select the directory and click Save Settings, then one of two things is occurring. Either BridgeDD cannot locate the bridgedd_check.php file in the /bridgedd directory it creates, or BridgeDD is not able to establish a connection to the database specified in your phpBB config.php file.

Please check your WordPress installation for the existence of the /bridgedd directory. It will be at the same level as the /wp-includes and /wp-admin directories. If it is present, please make sure the bridgedd_check.php file is in that directory.

If the bridgedd_check.php file is in the /bridgedd directory, that means BridgeDD cannot establish a connection to your phpBB database. Since you said no other bridge plugin worked for you, that makes me wonder if the problem is your phpBB installation. Are you running phpBB3.0.x? Like every other bridge plugin, BridgeDD will not work with phpBB2 or phpBB 3.1. Are you using some sort of custom modification that has altered the content of the phpBB config.php file?
#3 May 10th 2014 1:44am
Hi and thank you for your answer.
I downloaded BridgeDD yesterday and it is version 1.2.2.
I have PHPBB 3.0.12 and the lastest wordpress version.
I tried to deactivate and reactivate the plugin.
I was taken to the BridgeDD settings page and there is a red box on the top saying "BridgeDD is not connected to phpBB", then there is the /forum directory listed and I can select it, but when I do so, BEFORE I click on "save changes", I get the "could not connect to phpBB installation" error.
I checked for the /bridgedd directory and for the bridgedd_check.php file, and they are in place. I did not alter config.php 'cause my phpbb installation is brand new - I checked config.php too, and it reports in order: $dbms, $dbhost, $dbport, $dbname, $dbuser, $dbpasswd, $table_prefix, &acm_type and &load_extensions. The settings are ok. Then there are three lines @define, the first one is PHPBB_INSTALLED true and the other ones, debug and debug_extra, are commented.
Thank you for you help

isa
#4 May 10th 2014 5:20pm
I would like for you to download the following file:

bridgedd_test.dd

Rename it to bridgedd_test.php, and place it in the server root directory where you have WordPress installed. Let's assume your site URL is http://mysite.com. Now browse to the following URL:

Code: Select all
http://mysite.com/bridgedd_test.php?path=/forum/

Please report back with the message you receive. If you do not receive a message, please check your PHP error log and report the error message from the log.

Once you are done with this test, you can delete the bridgedd_test.php file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#5 May 11th 2014 1:13am
Hi Dion.
I get 500 internal server error while browsing to that URL… could this be a permission problem maybe?
Now http://mysite.com/forum is not reacheable anymore

Thanks
isa

PS: I suspect it is .htaccess on my web server the cause of this error. Does your plugin / script try to activate it?
#6 May 11th 2014 12:24pm
If you are getting an HTTP500 error, please check your PHP error log. While this could be caused by something in one of your .htaccess files, my suspicion is that you have an open_basedir restriction, coupled with PHP turning off the ability to remove that restriction in a script.

Both of these issues would explain why you cannot get any bridge to work. All bridges require the ability to load phpBB .php files inside WordPress, and WordPress .php files inside phpBB. Your server is not allowing this to happen.
#7 May 11th 2014 1:34pm
Hi Dion, I do have the same suspicion you do. I have no log of the 500 internal server error. So do you think there is no way to use a bridge for me?
Wordpress automatic updates often result in the same error on my website, so I had to use this work-around to avoid to find my website off line from time to time: added in my WP config.php the code "define(‘FS_CHMOD_FILE’,0755);define(‘FS_CHMOD_DIR’,0755);"
Is there something similar I can use for getting your plugin working?
Thank you for your help
isa
#8 May 11th 2014 3:04pm
The fact that you cannot properly update WordPress tells me that some part of your server configuration is incorrect. It could be caused by a filesystem issue. It could be caused by an Apache/PHP configuration error. It could also be caused by a WordPress plugin that incorrectly altered one of your .htaccess files.

So I have four questions for you. What type of hosting do you have...shared, VPS, or dedicated? Second, what is its operating system? Third, what Apache handler are you using...mod-php (DSO), SuPHP, FastCGI, or php-fpm? And finally, what Wordpress plugins do you have loaded?
#9 May 12th 2014 2:35am
Hi Dion. My opinion is it is .htaccess but it is not related with plugins. I have 4 domains on the same hosting, the problem is the same even with a new wordpress installation.
This page is about the issue (the resource is in italian, I'm sorry):
http://www.michelepacini.it/risolvere-p ... wordpress/
As you can see, users based on ARUBA SERVERS get this error and have to fix it manually. So do I.
My hosting is http://www.aruba.it/ and it is an hosting LINUX. I do not know what Apache handler I am using...
WP Plugins on my website: Calculated Fields Form, Connections (business directory), Contact Form 7, Google Analytics, Newsletter, Register Plus, S2member, Tiny MCE, Wordpress SEO; WP Show IDs.
Thank you so much for your time
isa
#10 May 12th 2014 10:10am
If you think your problem is in your .htaccess file(s), please post the contents of the .htaccess file in your WordPress root directory and (if one exists) in your phpBB root directory.

If all users on your hosting have these problems, I would suggest finding a new hosting provider. This is the best solution.
#11 May 12th 2014 10:28am
.htaccess in the root:
# BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)s2member_file_download\=.+ [OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)no-gzip\=1
RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]
</IfModule>
# END s2Member GZIP exclusions

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

.htaccess in phpbb:
not present.
#12 May 12th 2014 11:23pm
Your .htaccess file looks fine.

That makes me believe this problem is in the filesystem itself. There is nothing I can do on my end to help you with this, other than to tell you there are many hosting providers which do not have this problem.
#13 May 13th 2014 1:43am
Dion, I appreciate your effort to help. Thank you again.
I will consider your suggestion for the future.
Have a great day
isa

EDIT: Dion, a weird thing happened just now.
I had to manually add some lines to my .htaccess (to force PDF download) and then upped it again on my root.
Then, just in case, I went into your plugin's panel and clicked on /forum again… and I was able to see the image of the forum! So I clicked save…
Immediately I was out of my dashboard and no way to enter again: it said my administrator username and password were wrong! So on the frontend, no way to log any registered user. All username and passwords were wrong! No way to enter so I had to browse to my ftp plugin folder and rename BridgeDD folder to force Wordpress to disable the plugin.
Is there something that could explain what happened? What had to happen after I clicked on save?
The plugin is now disabled, have I to rename the folder again and then to cancel it to properly remove bridgeDD?
Thanks again, sorry to bother
#14 May 13th 2014 9:18pm
Your hosting company is doing strange things with file permissions and ownership, and it is causing all your applications to not work properly. At this point I honestly have no idea how to help you, other than to again suggest that you find new hosting.
#15 May 14th 2014 3:10pm
Thank you anyway. Keep the good job!
Isa